Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Enforce anti-littering law

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I am a sophomore at Saipan Southern High School. Last week I participated in the Beautify CNMI monthly cleanup of Garapan and was terribly frustrated with all the garbage I found in almost every corner. After spending 90 minutes under the hot sun, my partner and I filled up about four huge bags with trash. The majority of this trash consisted of beer bottles, paper plates, and cans-all things that could have easily been disposed of properly.

When I went home, I looked up some information about littering. I found that the CNMI has a Commonwealth Litter Control Act of 1989 (Public Law 6-37) that provides for a $500 fine for littering and that the Division of Environmental Quality, Mayor's Office, Department of Public Works, Department of Public Safety, Department of Public Health, Division of Fish & Wildlife, Coastal Resources Management, Department of Land and Natural Resources, and Marianas Visitors Authority all employ litter control officers.

Knowing this information, I wonder how many litter tickets have been issued in the last 12 months?

If our Commonwealth Litter Control Act were enforced, we would have a cleaner island. A cleaner island would benefit tourism and improve the quality of life for everyone who lives here.

I ask that the government enforce our litter laws so that people like me don't have to spend our weekends picking up other people's garbage. I also realize that the community and businesses are responsible and I ask that they stop littering and put pressure on those who do to stop.

Jacquelyn Johanna B. David
San Antonio, Saipan

No comments:

Post a Comment